Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Which plastic?

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 19:39:23 -0800 (PST), speff
wrote:

On Thursday, 6 February 2020 19:29:48 UTC-5, wrote:
Hardinge uses a white plastic on the dials on their lathes. This
palstic has been used for years so it must hold up well to machine
shop environments. Does anybody here know just what kind of plastic it
is? I know it is not Delrin because Delrin is too soft. I want to make
some new dials for a lathe and the white plastic would be perfect.
Thanks,
Eric

Hi, Eric:- (still have some Delrin from you..)

This guy claims they're made from Dupont Nylon Zytel

101Lhttps://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/bridgeport-and-hardinge-mills-and-lathes/hardinge-plastic-micrometer-dials-165485/

I'm guessing it would be glass-filled nylon (polyamide) then.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Id have to guess that it is also. Its tough, oil resistant and Ive
never ever seen a dial broken due to oil contamination...only really
serious impact (busted off the handles type of impact)

Gunner
__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.