Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Terrell Michael Terrell is offline

Default Tek 7141 graticule backlight - no voltage on connector

On Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 11:21:52 AM UTC-5, Nife Sima wrote:
On 20.02.2020 17:05, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 9:25:30 AM UTC-5, Nife Sima wrote:
I've picked up a Tek 7141 PAL vectorscope not a long time ago and fixed
various odds and ends in it. However I'm having trouble finding out the
cause of the broken backlight circuit. The SCALE knob on the front
doesn't do anything.

I've opened it up and the backlight is handled by 2 groups of 3
lightbulbs arranged in a way they light up the proper graticule
depending on the mode selected (waveform mon./vectorscope). There are 4
wires going to the backplane via a pin header. There's no voltage on any
of the 4 pins of the backplane (even with the light board unplugged).

Two of the lightbulbs are open, so that's one fault. However, what else
should I check that may be causing no voltage at all on the header?

Cheers
Nife

Are you sure of the model number? Even Tektronix has no information on it. Ther are several 174x series TV scopes including a 1741A

These are not simple lights with a Rheostat like older products, it uses an IC to drive them.

From the 1740A/1741A manual:

Graticule Lights

U1D is an oscillator with a 600 ms period. Its output drives U1A directly and
U1B through a comparator (U1C). The output of U1A and U1B is a 50% duty cycle, with each amplifier driving two of the four graticule light bulbs. Only two of the bulbs are lit at one time.

The schematic is on page 299 of the Tektronix 070-8469-03 manual:

http://w140.com/tekwiki/images/d/d2/070-8469-03.pdf

Yes, you are right.. It's 1741 my bad. Not 1741A as that one is
substantially different. The 1741 is mostly analog, no readouts on the
CRT like in the later Tek devices. Sadly I can't find a schematic or
even a manual for the early model.

All I have are a few photos from an Ebay listing. Even Tektronix claims the 1740A manual is correct for the 1741.