Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earthing through plastic pipe

In article ,
Tufnell Park wrote:
Before PME was 'invented' it was possible to get E Boards/REC's to fit
an 'earth' terminal for a nominal charge in domestic premises. This was
basically utilising the supply cable earth conductor connection at the
cut out which the property main earth conductor could be connected to.

Since PME came in i am not sure if this is still available.

Not sure either.

When I bought this house in the 70s, the earth was provided by bonding to
the incoming lead water pipe. Also bonding to the cast iron gas pipe.

There had been relatively recent works done (before I bought it) which
included a new riser, and the meter moved from cellar to the top of the
cellar stairs. Wired in three core armoured cable from riser to meter,
with the third being the earth and an earth terminal alongside the meter
installed, which the house wiring earth was connected to. An old conduit
ran alongside the armoured, so I assume the ancient fusebox had always
been at the top of the cellar stairs.

Most of the lighting wiring was lead covered, although a more modern ring
had been added at some point.

Such a mess it was a condition of the mortgage it was rewired, which I did
to a basic level before moving in. But since everything to the meter was
obviously recent, left that as was.

On re-commissioning the new installation, the then board passed it all.
Including removing a second meter in another part of the house.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.