Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default Adjusting hinged doors

If its that close inabout six months you will be doing it all over again as
the damp gets in and the door drops.
I think its plane on bottom of door time, personally.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"T i m" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 02:01:24 -0800 (PST), Lee Nowell
wrote:

Hi All

I have a standard wooden internal hinged door. I have recently put a new
floor down and when closing the door, the leading edge (i.e. handle edge
not the hinge edge) rubs on the floor.

Not uncommon.

Rather than take the door off and plane the bottom etc I thought that if I
packed the hinge out a little it would kick that edge up and solve the
problem.

That 'end' of the bottom of the door you mean, rather than just a
leading / trailing edge as the door sweeps?

Only needs about 1mm. So I packed the bottom hinge on the door frame and
that seemed to have the opposite effect.

Strange. Could you have simply allowed the door to drop slightly when
you removed the hinge and re-fitted it?

Anyone know which hinge (top or bottom) I should pack and then where the
bit that goes on the frame or the bit on the door?

I'm not sure that any amount of packing that will still allow the door
to sit in the frame squarely will resolve your issue.

Lifting the door 1mm by repositioning the hinges may do it (if you
have room over the door) but a lot of faff?

I think it might be time to get the plane out [1], or fit rising
butt's? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] What about a multitool on some protective material with the door
still hung (if it's only 1mm and 'for now')?