Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default 2 Hour time delay switch

On 15/02/2020 16:27, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day
because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days
later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night
time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot
water in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her
which could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to
boost the hot water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red
indicator light in the hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for
say 5 mins.

How about a button which turns the heater on only until the thermostat
switches?

Easily feasible of course, but does anyone make such a thing?

If you had a cylinder lagged with the equivalent of 4 inches
of celotex (I believe you can get them), you could consider
leaving it on all the time, and use the stat to keep the
temperature at a slightly lower temp, like 50 C