Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phone service

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 09:05:58 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 11:50:50 AM UTC-5, A K wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 17:30:09 -0800 (PST), A K
wrote:

My landline is copper wires.

I like having a landline because it still works when a hurricane hits which can knock out cell towers.

Don't be too sanguine about that. I found out after Irma that my
"central office" a mile from the house, that allows me to have DSL is
a little battery operated box on the side of the road and you get
about 30 hours out of that battery. Then your phone and DSL is dead.
If they are kind enough to drop a generator there you are back ion
business but that took them almost a week. Some folks who knew the
score around here dragged a cord from their generator out to their box
and recharged the battery every day. (It is just a regular NEMA 5-15)
If it happens again, I am going to go up there and ask around.
Unfortunately, the places around that box are usually abandoned all
summer.

I live 200 feet from a Verizon brick and mortar "main office."

Andy

Then aren't they an alternative for DSL/phone or just DSL and use OOma
or similar for phone?

Once 5G rolls out I expect big mobile players to try to get everyone
on it and abandon any copper that is still left out there.