Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default Wi-Fi adaptor.

Broadback wrote:
On 14/02/2020 15:56, NY wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

You can get wifi access points which have an Ethernet port and an
aerial. You can even use an old unwanted router as an access point, if
you turn off its DHCP server and connect the PVR to a LAN port rather
than (if it has one) a WAN port.

If you need and old router, just pay for postage then contact me. #reply
here and I will send your details. Cheers

The device plugged into the PVR needs to be able to connect to an existing
access point, rather than generating its own. Many consumer routers
(especially the ones from ISPs) won't do that. It should be feasible if you
can put OpenWrt or DD-WRT on it.

(A common recommendation for that is the BT HomeHub 5A, which many people
have lying around - I bought one on ebay with OpenWrt installed for 16 quid)

Theo