Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Wi-Fi adaptor.

On 14/02/2020 18:15, GB wrote:
On 14/02/2020 17:40, NY wrote:
"GB" wrote in message

Or use a fair of Homeplugs, if you have them lying around perhaps?

And hope and pray that the mains wiring between them is capable of
carrying the signal. Our house is an L shape, with a long distance
from the router at one extreme of the L to rooms at the other end. And
the house has two "fuse boxes" with sockets at different ends of the L
on different fuse boxes - though still all going through the same
meter which I gather is the absolute show-stopper if you try to go
between sockets on different meters.

When I tried it with Homeplug devices that were rated at I think 80
Mbps I got a transfer rate of about 5 Mbps with frequent drop-outs; to
get 80 Mbps I had to be on sockets that were no more than a few yards
apart.

I also found difficulty with the old 80 mbps homeplugs. You'd think the
higher speed ones would be worse, but on the contrary they connect much
better.

They have certainly improved over the years (having gone through older
14, 80, 200AV standards etc)

We have a very thick wall running down the middle of our house, which
makes a mockery of wifi. Hence my enthusiasm for Homeplug.

If its your own place, then there is a lot to be said for biting the
bullet and doing a proper (structured) cabled network.

(from my point of view the joy of homeplug is the ease with which one
can get a client to self install a working network without the need for
on site support or any need for house bashing!)

--
Cheers,

John.