Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Wi-Fi adaptor.

On 14/02/2020 16:55, John Rumm wrote:
Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would
like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a
Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB socket on it - but
that says for a keyboard.

You you just need a wifi access point used in "infrastructure" or
"Bridge" mode - basically converting a wifi upstream connection to
ethernet.

(or use a pair of homeplug devices as a ethernet bridge, that is often
a more reliable connection, and has the advantage of upsetting some
trolls with letters and numbers after their names :-)) )

Well John, I can give you chapter and verse on both.

First of all I bought ths little number (mains powerd via USB) to go on
the end of long piece pfcat 5 for WiFi on the patio...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016E93MX2/

Yup RouterOS devices seem fairly capable... and a fair bit of capability
for the money.

(Although I would probably go for a PoE powered one in outside
applications).

It is allegedly capable of far mopre than being a wifi acess pointbutr
peole who have tried to make it so have not alwys been successful.

That may be a reflection on the people rather than the device. Their kit
is aimed at the more tech capable user.

It works great.

Secondly I have two pairs of TP link powerline adapters - one pair of
single ethernet sockets stuff works reliably, the other that had twin
ethernet sockets in each unit (and a 13A socket) does not., After a
while they just stop working and need rebooting.

As is usually the case, your mileage may vary, although I have found the
AV600 ones to be reliable (and have 25+ installed in various
applications). I can't speak for all the model range, as I have not
tried the higher speed ones.

If you have not already done it, installing the tpPLC management
software will give you a good overview of what the homeplug network is
doing - and will show the link speeds and quality of the links between
all the devices.

--
Cheers,

John.