Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loft ladder - limited height in loft and small hatch

On 14/02/2020 18:38, NY wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Murmansk wrote:

I've been asked to fit a loft ladder for someone who has a hatch 65cm
square and limited height in the loft of 65cm to store the ladder.

Looks like we need a concertina one or a telescopic one.

Anyone any experience of telescopic ones? They seem to be about £200.
I reckon concertina ones aren't as good as they tend to bounce up and
down as you use them which can be unnerving!

Mine is a sliding 3-section aluminium, it pivots flat as it raises
through the hatch, don't suppose it exceeds 65cm height (don't think
I've ever been in loft with the ladder "up" though), provided you have
the room for it to lay more or less flat

Is 65 cm the maximum storage height or the maximum headroom? Many
ladders need to extend vertically above the hatch by almost the length
of one section as they are being pushed up, before then pivoting so they
are horizontal.

Not the one I have. the three sections drop down and then are extended.
Ther headroom is just to allow them to be rotated up through the hatch

65cm is a bit optimistic. Id say 800mm

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen