Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Classic vs. Modern architecture

On 02/14/2020 07:57 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:40:05 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Feb 2020 03:07:31 -0800 (PST), Cindy
Hamilton wrote:

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 6:28:52 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
"Contemporary architecture is by and large a failure. The public finds
it ugly, strange, and off-putting. It has created a built environment
that is degraded and dehumanizing. The reason for this failure is the
ideology of architectural Modernism, which came to dominance after the
Second World War."
https://www.civicart.org/contemporary-architecture

I thought that modern architecture, at least in large buildings, was
driven by new, more efficent, cheaper methods of construction, along
with the ability to make large glass windows, plus the universality of
air conditioning so that windows don't have to open, along with a dearth
of Italian artists willing to work for little money and do the art work
that decorated the buildings of the Teens through 50's.

BTW, when they added a new simple building to Billings Hospital, at the
U. of Chicago, they did find someone to make 10 feet of stone cornice to
match what was on the original gothic building, for the transition from
one building to the next.

The group whose webpage is above apparently influenced Stumpie in
today's exec. order that new federal buildings in DC use Greek, Roman,
Gothic and a couple I missed architecture. The same group wants to
rebuild Pennsyylvania Station in NYC, even though Madison Square Garden
is in the way. They have several compalaints about the station
including that the trains are sometimes late. How does the design of
the building cause that!

In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/

Cindy Hamilton

You don't think he has great taste! How plebian of you.

I think his apartment looks like a bordello.

I've got to find a fancier class of whorehouses.