Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default 2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say 5 mins.

You need a Smiths Immersion heater timer.

It can be set to come on for one or two periods per day,
plus a button that gives a timed 1 hour boost.

Without using the daily timing periods you can just rely
on the 1-hour boost facility.

Actually, giving it 30 to 45 minutes at night off-peak will
stop any legionaires bugs getting a hold anyway. If her
tank is well lagged it will last all day for most single
people.