Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Earthing through plastic pipe

I've often wondered what they do these days as people tell me you can see
the plastic pipes coming up for the services in new builds. Maybe they all
have some kind of local Earth spike or are they all joined together these
days and earthed at intervals down the road?

Typically the earth will be provided by the electrical supplier, using
their combined Protective Earth and Neutral conductor. Thus giving the
consumer a TN-C-S / PME earthing system.

If the pipework in the house is metal, then it still need equipotential
bonding since its capable of introducing a voltage into an equipotential
zone from elsewhere in the house even if it can't do it from external to
the property due to the plastic services.

If the pipework in the property is all[1] the plastic, then the pipework
will not be included in the equipotential bonding.

[1] No need for EQ bonding in cases where the pipework is all plastic
but with only "show work" in copper.

--
Cheers,

John.