Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default The last census?

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
The next census might be the last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51468919

Just like the previous one was supposed to be the last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10584385

Irrespective of the way in which the information is collected (census
document sent to every household or "other sources") I wonder if the
information that is gathered will be kept for posterity and for the use of
future genealogists 100 years from now when it is released from the 100-year
embargo.

I wonder how the accuracy and completeness of the "other sources" of
information will be checked. I think it is an offence to give false
information (or no information) in the census, but I bet it's not for the
"other sources", so the quality and completeness of data will be highly
suspect. Using electoral rolls as the primary source of the census is dodgy
because some people choose not to go on the electoral roll (thus forfeiting
their right to vote) because they want to remain "under the radar"; other
people are on the electoral roll in two places (eg home and university)
which has always seemed a dubious practice even if they only vote in one
place - it leads to some people (but not others) being able to choose which
constituency will benefit more from their vote.

How are people identified in a census - I've forgotten? Is it just by name
or does each person in a household have to give a unique ID such as National
Insurance number? If they gave NI number, it would make it much easier for
genealogists to trace the correct John Smith as he moves from house to house
between one census and the next.