Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Distiibution amplifier vs. ????

In sci.electronics.repair, on Tue, 11 Feb 2020 23:12:22 +0000, Adrian
Caspersz wrote:

On 11/02/2020 19:44, micky wrote:
I think I need a new amplifier for the signal from my DVDR output to
various tv's, but I forget what that thing is called. ???

When I look up distribution amplifier, they seem to be from the antenna
to the TV, and aren't those different frequencies.

The 110volt amp is still a little warm, but I suppose after 35 years of
use without interruption, it could have failed. It's mark is Archer,
which was Radio Shack, but I know the very same thing was sold under
other brands.

Am I better off with 110vac or with one that uses a 12v wall wart?

TIA

Hi Micky,

I'm going to guess given the age, that this is RF distribution at either
channel 3 or 4 (US),

Yes, you're right.

Sorry, Dave, eiither I forgot how many other ways there were, or I
incorrectly assumed that only your method 3, RF modulated, would involve
anything like a distribution amp.

so yes you are looking at a antenna distribution amp.

I set this up when the PCJr as the go to computer, and I had no internet
and I don't know how I decided what to buy.

So later I thought there were different amps for the antenna versus the
between the VCR and the remote tvs. But I guess I jumped to the wrong
conclusion.

Way back then too, the power supply would have been a transformer, and
supplying not much current would have helped it's longevity.

However, if all of your TVs are now digital, there are much better ways

None of them are digital. I was thinking of getting one, but I have no
room for a large screen. 22" is about all I have room for or a little
bigger. That woudl still leave 3 rooms with analog, whose signal is
provided by the DVDRhd, which has a digital tuner. (I use powermids to
control the dvdr from other rooms.)

of distributing content.

HDHomeRun for one.
https://www.silicondust.com/

That looks pretty good. I wish I'd put ethernet in all the rooms when I
put in the coax, but I guess I could use wifi if I had a tv that could
accept that. Maybe later. I may be getting a 50-year roof so I'll have
to live her 50 more years to get my money's worth.