Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Wide shelving advice needed

On Monday, February 10, 2020 at 6:21:15 PM UTC-5, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Tearing out sagging shelves in a 10ft. by 6ft. pantry. Would jike to put 18" deep shelves on the back wall. These would not be "cabinet" quality construction.
So, rip 18" wide plywood? Particle board? Bisquit join solid lumber?
Any thoughts appreciated.

Is the back wall 10' or 6'?

What is the distance between supports?

18" shelves seem pretty deep for a pantry. Hard to reach the back of the
upper shelves. 16" (still deep) allows for 3 shelves per 48" length. Of
course, I don't know your layout, so I don't know your cut plan.

Edging on whatever you use will prevent sagging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VRUAOgR1gA

The following is probably way overkill for a pantry, but it's what I did in
my garage. 3/4" plywood, 2 x 3 framing and 1 x 2's made from plywood strips
used as cleats along the walls. With edge supports front and rear, these
shelves won't ever sag. The side shelves are 16" deep, the rears are 20",
but they are for storing large heavy items, not typical pantry stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/QmnSJcA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0v44CJq.jpg