Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Rant

I know it's gauche around these parts but have you thought about a
printed nut? It won't show and I won't tell.

Printed nut? Do you mean 3D printing? I'd prefer a traditional approach, solution to match the table. However, I should look in to it. I have the one repaired table in use. I don't need two. Once repaired, I'll probably try to sell the second, so a printed nut may be somewhat acceptable.

The machinist I consulted told me he thinks he can thread the nut and do it within an hour. He's confident he can get his cutting tool inside the bore hole. His fee, if successful, is $45 an hour. He said he won't charge me if he can't be successful, since this would be something new/different from his normal machinist work.

Being a DIYer, I would have liked to make one myself, disappointed I can't find a tap & die set for this old vise size.

Sonny