Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Driving at night

On 07/02/2020 16:23, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 7 February 2020 15:46:31 UTC, Graham. wrote:
Cursitor Doom Wrote in message:
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 15:14:20 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 07/02/2020 11:47, John wrote:
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

HUGE 4x4 that have their headlights focused on the middle of your rear
screen even on dipped....

In 2002 I recall being blinded by a (then new) Mercedes that pulled
out in front of me in a long traffic queue one wet night. It had the
brightest rear brake light (at the bottom of the rear screen) I've
ever seen. It was atrocious and really made me see red in more ways
than one. I'm guessing a less phlegmatic person than I would have
jumped out and thumped the driver (and I'll bet not a few drives did!)
I can't recall the model now after all these years but I'm sure the
manufacturers would have had to recall them to dim them down.

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask, do any cars dim there
lights automatically depending on ambient light? It seems that
the usual (German) suspects do not, judging by the way their
brake lights blind me at night. traffic lights have had light
sensors for decades.

Ambient light is not an adequate basis for dimming. If they could assess how visible they are to anyone who might need to see the light, then that would make sense. Like through the spray you are throwing out behind at speed on a motorway.

better being blinded than not seeing a wee ned in his fart can with dark
lenses on everything and inadequate bulbs.....