Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Driving at night

On 07/02/2020 13:51, NY wrote:
"John" Not.responding.@dotcom wrote in message
2.222...
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

Drivers who don't dip their headlights when you can see them coming
towards you. (That goes without saying, which I presume is why you
didn't mention it.)

Drivers who leave their rear (red) foglights on even when it isn't foggy.

Drivers who keep their brake lights on when they are stopped for many
minutes in a queue of traffic, dazzling and "destroying" the night
vision of the drivers behind. (*)

Theoretically red light should leave *night vision* unaffected as the
rods are only sensitive by and affected by blue-green light (which is
why red lights are used in submarine cabins - to retain vision for the
periscope at night). I suspect that there is too much light during
normal driving to need the rods: and your blue sensitive cones should be OK.

--
Max Demian