Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 0.475" ROD

"David Billington" wrote in message
On 06/02/2020 12:18, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
... ...What would be the standard size of 0.475" stainless rod
have
been from? Is it just 0.475" rod? What was it from originally?

A piece of 1/2" brass rod I added to an Amazon order to meet the
$25
free shipping minimum measures 0.490".

Several batches of electronic components from them were out-of-spec
rejects, though still usable. For example "75V" gas discharge
voltage
limiters conducted at either under 70V or over 80V.

Jim,

I've seen that in the UK with regards to sheet metal thickness from
my local suppliers over the last decade or so. In the past when I
wanted 16 swg (0.065" 1.6mm) sheet it was bang on within like
0.001", then they metricated it to 1.5mm and it was good for awhile
but subsequently I've seen nominally 1.5mm sheet at 1.3mm which was
unacceptable for some jobs. I guess the mills are trying to squeeze
a few more sheets out to increase profitability. I've not seen bar
stock like that but it isn't oversized in my experience.

I keep 4" dial calipers in the car to measure stock when I go
shopping, or happen onto a useful piece. They are short enough to stay
in a shirt pocket, much less likely than 6" ones to catch on a rack
or machine I'm squeezing past and flip onto the floor.

They also fit under the head of the mill better to measure height.

Sometimes at an industrial supply store the reaction to the calipers
is "Oh, you're an engineer", in a tone that suggests they expect I'll
be demanding and difficult. When I reassure them that I'm a tech who
has to build what the engineers dream up, and this is for a home
project, they may offer some leftover that can be made to do the job
at half price.