Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Rant

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 11:14:44 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
More so an update as to what's going on in my neck of the woods.....

A few years ago I bought two antique woodworking tables from the IRS auctions. Each needed some repair. Got one in good working order, specifically the two wood vises needed adjusting and a bit of repair. On the other table, a vise needs a new wooden nut for one of the vises. The screw shaft size is 1.75" diameter with 2.5 threads per inch, thread depth is 3/16" deep.. There are no tap and die sets available for this size screw unit... at least that I can find. Spoke with a machinist and he thinks he can make a nut. We'll test a block to see if we can make one. If all goes well, then we'll see about a fee. My rant is I had thought it would be an easier task to get a new nut.
Broken nut under the end of the screw:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

I think I recently watched a YouTube where a guy was making big wooden
nuts and bolts in a unique DIY manner. The bolts for sure, various threads.
I'll see if I can find it.

Had new roofing installed last month. Lately, I've been doing a few maintenance repairs on 2 corner soffit areas. My knees and thighs ache. These smallish jobs aren't as easy as they use to be. Still have the second coat of paint to apply to those areas.

When I was in the midst my Thanksgiving "freshen up project" (painting,
new trim, new drawer fronts, replaced a couple of doors, etc.) I was
sore all the time. The good thing was I lost 10 pounds.

Bad thing is it only took 2 months to gain it all back.

Made a porch swing for a nephew and his wife. They put the swing outdoors, not under a porch/patio. I get frustrated when folks don't take care of things that I put effort into. Nephew didn't want to do the repairs on the rotted parts and he asked if I wanted the swing back. Lately, I've replaced the 3 rotted boards and will give the swing to another nephew, who is.....

Remodeling an old house into a camp. Last week we tore out some drywall and stripped & gutted the bathroom. I'll go meet him today and do more work. We'll gut the place before the house is to be moved to a (new) lake location. I have some hickory planks and other parts for his camp dining table in the works.... all is ready for assembly and will be assembled/installed after he moves the house. Among other things, I have old salvaged doors for the camp and some cypress logs for interior framing/decor type beam supports, i.e., we'll remove a wall or two to open up some areas and the logs will support ceiling/roof beams.

We've had a mild winter. My lawn needs mowing. Probably will mow Saturday or Sunday. Thinking it's almost time to till the veggie garden, also. Hope to start some seed beds soon.

Big red line across the top of the TV screen a few minutes ago. Winter
storm warning until 6 AM Saturday. 12"-14" on top of the 6" we got last night. Maybe some ice, depending on the temperature. It's cold but clear
now, so I just came in from topping off the snowblower, checking the tires
and oil, swapping the old gas for new in the generator, filling the gas
cans, etc.

I think I'll wait until next weekend to mow. ;-)