Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default HDPE / phenolic cheap substitute

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 18:35:43 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 14:42:13 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 5:11:44 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 13:52:09 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 3:32:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I want to place two 4 foot LED slim lights in my long narrow cold
room - top corner, 1 per side, staggered -
- a couple "plastic" 45 degree mounting blocks for each light
would allow them to be angled out from the top corner and provide
a bit of a thermal / moisture break from the concrete.
I'm trying to avoid wood - the cold room can get pretty damp at
times and I don't want to promote mold/mildew.
I'm thinking a piece 4 " square x 1.5 " thick would be cut in half
diagonally to make 2 mounts.
Buying thick HDPE or phenolic is a bit pricy for this job -
any suggestions for a similar - but cheaper - product ?
Even re-purposing a common cheap item ... ?
Treated wood might be my final solution - but I thought I'd pick
your brains first.
John T.

What about vinyl?

Under $10 should get you all the material you need:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-...HWS3/100275037

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-8-...0133/100345577

That might not be the best cement for PVC "boards" but there are a few good
PVC adhesives available.

I've used Super Glue but it takes a good 10 seconds to bond enough to
stay together. Coarse pocket screws would work for edge gluing or buy
wider planks.

I'll check out Lowes / HD to see if they have any cut-offs -
the 1 x 3 1/2 comes in 10 ft. lengths and would cost ~ $ 35.

http://tinyurl.com/uj89gvt

.. an 1 foot piece would almost do.

John T.

I think I've got some chunks of HDPE or Nylon up at the farm in
Salem/Alma area