Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default PAINT MARKERS - What's good?

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 11:02:14 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

PAINT MARKERS - What's good?
Not Milwaukee.

Many years ago in my contracting office I put up a 4x8 sheet of bathroom
board as a write board. I used it to write down contract jobs, and
service tickets so we would keep track of them and get them done.

It worked great, but in order to keep things straight we needed to put
lines on it. I asked one of my guys and long time friend about it and
he suggested a paint marker. We picked one up at a local (now closed)
education supply store and it worked fantastic. It worked great and
lasted for years. In fact it only quit working after it got dropped on
the floor and stepped on. I bought a few more and they were ok, but not
as good.

Recently I was thrilled when I walked into my local industrial bolt
vendor and saw they had Milwaukee brand paint markers hanging on the
wall. I figured i Milwaukee put their name on it they had to be decent.
I bought several of them. They may still have paint in them, but
after marking only a few pieces of metal they quit working. They are in
my opinion total garbage.

I'm looking for a quality paint marker like that first one I bought many
years ago. I use them for marking steel, coloring feather tips on
fishing lures, and of course I need to mark some lines on a white board.

Best ones Ive found are Markal brand. Followed by Fourney.

https://www.amazon.com/industrial-pa...+paint+markers

One has to use them properly though. They MUST be laid down, or
stored TIP down. Any other position will allow the applicator to dry
out and become paint clogged.

They must be shaken well unless you are using yours every day. And I
mean..for a couple minutes, not just 2 brief shakes

The applicator can..can be removed from some of the brands and soaked
in paint thinner and retried. Sometimes..pulling the tip and applying
a single drop of paint thinner to the hole left by removal of the
applicator can clean up the oil port inside.

I use paint markers 2-4 times a week and have for decades. These are
not..not Magic Markers (which apply ink) but actually apply paint.

My favorite colors are yellow and white. I keep both colors in my van
pen case, my desk at work, and on my workbench at home. A Markal will
cost about $5-8 each.

Gunner
__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.