Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tempestinatesttube Tempestinatesttube is offline

Default troubleshooting a non-functional Smirnoff lightning lamp

Hi, I just acquired one of the Smirnoff lightning lamps from a local
sale. Unfortunately, it worked for an hour and then stopped and hasn't
worked since. I took off the bottom cover which revealed a small
flyback, what looks like a couple of mosfets, a driver transformer or
two, and maybe a timer.

Specifically, it is called the "Smirnoff Tempest Bar Glorifier" made in
Korea for Neu Solutions. Unfortunately, they haven't been made in
nearly 20 years.

Does anyone know of a service manual and/or schematic for this device?
I'm having no luck googling for it.

Fortunately, I am going to be able to borrow a working unit. If anyone
wants to roll up their sleeves and help me troubleshoot using the
working one as a template, please share. I'd be more than willing to
post pictures of the circuit board, components, etc.

I think the first thing I will do with the working unit is take
resistance readings of all components while off and discharged. Then,
while on, take voltage readings of the same. I don't have enough
experience to try reverse engineering a schematic which is why it would
be oh so helpful to find one from the manufacturer.

Any information provided would be welcome. I'd really like to get my
broken one back in working order again! Tips, measurements, etc
welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Tempy