Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Smith[_4_] Richard Smith[_4_] is offline

Default U channel and squire tube which one is strong

Hi Jim
I read with interest.
You are describing a like situation, as I understand it. You are
seeing the same "mismatch".
Thanks for taking me into your area of expertise in explaining.

Trusses and stresses - as I learned about vectors, wishing to design a
bridge in the form of a truss, I realised I could look up at Victorian
railway station roof supports and see which were in tension and which
were in compression (here in the UK). Those in pure tension could be
and often are flat plates, while those in compression are channel
sections.

Best wishes,
Rich S