Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Paul Hovnanian P.E. Paul Hovnanian P.E. is offline

Default Ambient 7 Day Forecaster

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 15:40:47 -0800, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/ambient...er-forecaster-

review/

The review web site says this uses a "proprietary long-range terrestrial
wireless network". Probably a pager transmitter or FM subcarrier. If I
knew the frequency, I could go hunting for local interference. Anyone have
any ideas?

Please post the FCC ID number from the serial number sticker and I'll
see what I can find out about the receiver section.

No model or FCC ID number anywhere on this thing (it's Chinese). Either on
the outside, it the battery compartment or internally. What appears to be
the receiver section has a sticker on it that reads '929.6125'. Taking a
wild gues that this is MHz, that puts it in a pager band.

I couldn't find
anything on the device due to the lack of a model number and FCC-ID
number:
https://fccid.io

If it updates slowly, my guess(tm) is that your unit is experiencing a
high data error rate. There's probably an ECC (error correcting code)
involved somewhere, that takes a few duplicate transmissions to decode
and correct the data.

Hmmm... http://map.myambient.com is suppose to produce a coverage
map for the weather service. Instead, it produces a text page
suggesting you call Ambient Support.

Ambient support is pretty much defunct. Although they do seem to be
broadcasting updates.

For troubleshooting, see:

http://myambient.com/productDetail/XDayForecasterSupportPage/serialPrefix/140/
Check the signal strength indicator in the upper right corner of the
screen. Zero or 1 bar isn't good enough.

Yeah. One bar most of the time. Although I did try an interesting
experiment. I took the thing with me in my car and drove to the neighborhood
grocery store. One bar pretty much everywhere except for one location about
a block from my house. The signal strength meter pegs in front of one house.

I'm toying with the idea of putting together a spectrum analyzer app for my
SDR dongle and sniffing around for spurious sources around that frequency.

--
Paul Hovnanian
The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.