Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Victor torch tip part number meaning?

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 03:18:02 +0000, James Jackson
wrote:

replying to Gman00, James Jackson wrote:
That's incorrect. 1-5-101. 1 is the orifice size, bigger the number the
bigger the orifice which generates more heat. 5 is the series, not the number
of holes it has, if that were the case my 0-3-101 would have 3 holes instead
of 7.

Well said!

And it makes a huge difference in flame size/heat. Last week I had to
buy a 0-4-101 tip to cut 3.5" round stock (center drive shaft) in an
Acme Gridley screw machine I was scrapping out for a client. the 0-3
simply didnt have enough oomph to sever the bar in tight places inside
the machine.
the bar was crusty/rusty/covered in dried cutting oils and chips. The
0-3 would sorta kinda gash the bar, with melted spooge refilling the
cut as I went along. Was taking freaking forever. I went down, spent
$16.75 on a 0-4..and cleanly severed the bar in about 10 seconds (x 6)
and had the bar out of the machine in just a few minutes as opposed to
****ing around for 45 minutes and getting no where.

A 0-3 is a good general all around tip for a 101 torch...but get the
cut thickness over 1 3/4" in thickness..time to get a bigger tip.
Yes..it can be done on flat stock laid in an easy to cut locale...but
hanging from your ankles and turned sideways pressed into a small
opening...get a bigger tip.

Gunner

__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.