Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default U channel and squire tube which one is strong

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 20:52:07 +0000, Richard Smith
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

Thanks. I've acquired a heap of galvanized tubing that might become an
upgrade to my 50' antenna mast, and was wondering if I'd missed a
reason why welding on a structure was discouraged, since it's how
ships are built.

* you'd burn the galv away around the weld - and the weld never has
any galv (spray with zinc-based paint - which will need periodically
reapiring / re-applying)

* you are not supposed to weld over galv. Zink toxicity & disturbs
arc (arc goes a lilac colour) & could affect weld strength and
fusion

Cleaning off the galv is tough..and then reapplying it is a pain in
the ass..but for oneoffs..its more than doable for a hobbiest.

__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.