Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default Neighbor having ISP speed problems.

My neighbor recently cut the cable. I helped him put up an antenna, and
reconnect things in the box on the outside of the house. Antenna goes to
the TV and cable goes to the Modem/router.
Up until 1 month ago he had 200 MBPs, he did a speed test and was
only getting 67 MBPs. They came out and replaced the cable from the road
to the house and got the 200MBPs.
When he cut the cable,he changed his speed to 100 MBPs. His NetFlix
was buffering so I checked his speed, it is around 40 MBPs.
We got the cable guy out and he checked signal at the road, Good,
he checked the signal just before it enters the house, Good.
The he ran a test that looked like a spectrum analyzer display.
He drove the cable going into the house connected to the Modem/router.
He said he was looking for noise. The cable guy didn't have a high
understanding, he just knew if it had a signal over a certain amount
that was to much noise. The test showed a peak at 300MHz of -40 unknown
label. But he said, nothing to worry about.
I'm not sure what this test was, unless is is just a spectrum analyzer
looking at noise on a coax going into the house.

If that is so, where would a 300MHz signal originate in the house?

The coax was connected to the Modem/router on one end and the spectrum
analyzer? on the other end. Could the Modem/router generate a 300MHz signal?

The last test was testing the speed at the end of the cable where it
would go into the router, Good.

Cable guy left without fixing anything, said the signal strength
should read -9 to +10, and it was 9.1. I ask if that could overload
the input of the modem and cause it to be slow. He just kinda shrugged
and said he wasn't sure.

Would overloading the input of a modem cause it be slow?

Cable guy did suggest he try a new modem.

I'm going to try a few things before he spends his money.
Mikek