Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Water stained ceiling

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 5:07:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 13:41:53 -0800 (PST), Julie Nilsen
wrote:

Trader_4 said

I would expect the poster is talking about a stained wood ceiling.
Otherwise, what's the point to a wood ceiling? In which case, IDK
if you can refinish just one section. It depends on how badly
it's stained, for how long, etc. If the leak was brief and the damage
minimal, I'd say the chances are probably pretty good. If it's been
leaking for 5 years and it's all black, I'd say not so good. If it's
possible, might be able to just refinish the one section, but put a
coat of urethane over the whole thing.

It is a stained wood. The damage area is large
But it is in sections. I dont think we can do this
Ourselves. What do you suggest? Im completely
Puzzled about the whole thing

Thank
Nellie

Find a trim carpenter who does this kind of work. They may be able to
sneak those boards out if they are normal tongue and groove. Then the
decision will be whether they should be refinished or replaced.
My wife (a builder) says this is what happens when you don't seal
decorative lumber on all 6 sides before you put it up. ;-)

That sounds like the idea. A finish carpenter or similar, someone who
does decorative woodwork.