Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Spencer Mike Spencer is offline

Default How to make iron filings?

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

"rangerssuck" wrote in message

You can collect iron filings by swishing a (plastic bagged) magnet
around in a bowl of Wheaties cereal. Not kidding.

Do you suppose they are an added mineral supplement, or from wear in
the packaging machinery?

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Ir...hProfessional/

Here'a a doc at the American Chemical Society:

https://www.acs.org/content/dam/acso...-breakfast.pdf

I haven't bought any breakast cereal for 40 years but I suppose I'm
going to have to buy some Wheaties (my favorite, tied with Cheerios,
65 years ago) and try that.

There's a tradition dating back to colonial times that women could
maintain health by putting (what was then a wrought iron) nail in a
glass of water each night, drinking the water in the morning.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada