Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to make iron filings?

"Jim Wilkins" on Mon, 13 Jan 2020 08:13:54
Once again, we're in the conflict between "I need one ASAP" and "I
want to make it myself." I can make a cabinet, or buy one at Amazon
/ Walmart."

I had to make that choice quite often in my career of building
prototypes and custom equipment. Usually it hinged on deadline vs
budget rather than my abilities and wishes. Generally I made only what
I couldn't buy, because it wasn't yet available. I couldn't usually
compete cost-wise with better-equipped manufacturers.

My collection of vintage electronic lab equipment has needed parts I
had to machine fom scratch, a Variac carbon brush assembly and the
oddball coaxial connector on one end of an HP spectrum analyzer
interconnect cable.

Exactly (as in I understand and agree). My house needs some
repairs. And while I'm at it, might as well do X, Y, Z, A, B, C
....X1, Y1, Z1 too. Many of which are way out of my ability. Add to
that, the only way I can afford to do all that, is to win the lottery,
at which point "it would be simpler to take the screen door off and
put it on a new house." Overhauling this place doesn't pencil out -
for me. If I was thirty years younger, it might. In the mean time
.... lets do what we can with what we have.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich