Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tom Del Rosso[_6_] Tom Del Rosso[_6_] is offline

Default Refrigerator current load

danny burstein wrote:
In "Tom Del Rosso"
writes:

Jeff Urban wrote:
We measured a new fridge at the store, had to talk the manager into
it but I built a box with a cord and outlet and a wire looped
outside for a clamp on ammeter.

We got a peak of like 9 amps or so to start but then it went be;ow
one amp.

Thanks to all. This is good, so I can put some other loads on the
fridge outlet.

Maybe, maybe not.

While typical refrigerators these days pull one amp (or less...)
while running, the "frost free" ones use a hell of a lot
more during the defrost cycle.

I've measured _500_ watts (4 amps) on mine.

That might be a few times a day but my other loads are used even less
often. The total is still under 15 amps which is what motivated me to
measure it.