Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
danny burstein danny burstein is offline

Default Welding on a fuel tank (jerry can)

In David Lesher writes:

I worked at a tank farm. When there was a bullet hole in a
80,000 bbl. gasoline tank the SOP was to drive a plug into the
hole, & wait several days. (Can't recall if they were cork
or rubber or ?)

When and only when the level was ?3-6ft? feet above the plug,
and multiple explosive gas measurements were clear, the wall was
cleaned of its epoxy paint, a plate was placed around the plug
and held in place. Then the welder came in and welded the plate
to the tank wall on all sides. After it cooled, it was primed
and painted.

If only they had Gorilla Tape. Or Flex Seal...