Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default That home made sports car

It looks like I'll be retiring in 2 years or less. So then I'll
have time to make my sports car. WOOHOO!
To that end I am reading, for at least the 5th time, Racing &
Sports Car Chassis Design by Michael Costin and David Phipps. And have
been browsing the web for folks who have done similar.
Lotsa variations on the Lotus 7 I see. I like the Lotus 7 from the
front and the side but the squared off back end bugs me. The open
cockpit looks great but living just a bit north of Seattle makes me
think I need a hard top.
Reading about the first iteration of the Lotus 7 I find that it had
considerable lift in the front starting about 70 miles per hour. I
will only ever be driving it that fast on straight roads but any lift
could seriously affect the steering in a negative way. I guess this
problem has been addressed in later models and in the Locost and
Caterham versions.
But it looks like all the newer versions have fenders that have a
channel cross section, not a curved cross section like a motorcycle
fender. To me they look like ****. The original Lotus had the curved
cross section rear fenders and front fenders which were basically just
curved sheet metal, with no sides. The front fenders may not be legal
for street use.
Anybody familiar with the original Laguna Seca race track logo? I
really like that body style and I could place a body like that on a
proven Lotus type frame. Still, it's an open cockpit car and I really
think I need a roof. Doors too.
I know doors complicate things as far as torsional rigidity go, but
that can be worked around. A high sill is a problem for me because I
have vertigo now and have had it for about 35 years. Standing on one
leg to climb into or out of car could be problematical. At least I no
longer fall out of chairs.
I have decided that I want from 120 to 140 HP. That will be plenty
to make a really light car zippy. Especially if the engine is already
zippy. I like the look of carbureted engines and really like SU carbs.
But I don't know if I want the hassle of dealing with carbs. BUT WTF,
my tractors have carbs and they all start and run pretty reliably as
long as I use ethanol free fuel, even after sitting for months during
the winter. I also like multiple carbs with velocity stacks. 4
cylinders, 4 carbs. Even if nobody can see them under the hood I'll
know they are there.
I guess I'll need to take a class to learn how to shape sheet metal
for the body. There are at least two places on the west coast that
offer classes. Probably be a bunch of young guys with sharp minds in
the classes too that can teach me some stuff.
I have the machine shop but not the sheet metal shop. So I will
either need to build another shop or rent one for a while. I have the
machining and welding skills but my sheet metal working skill set is
pretty lacking so the class will be fun.
If anybody wants to give me any input I'll gladly accept it. I have
two years to figure out just what the car will look like, what the
power train will be, and what the frame should be like. Or at least an
outline of it all. I'm excited.
Cheers,
Eric