I-zheet M'drurz

Default Invisible Fence - Break Detection

Ian Stock (remove the "antispam") wrote:

I have an Invisible Fence to keep my dog from bolting. The
control unit is now beeping, indicating a break in the
underground wire. Short of ripping it all up, is there any way
to detect the beak and repair it locally?

Try this first: try walking the fence line with a portable radio,
-detuned- from a broadcasting station. Set it on AM, tape it to a
stick so you can keep it nice and low to the ground. If it "acts
up" at any one point (and only 1 point), that could be your break
(It's likely radiating some RF energy) If AM doesn't get you
anywhere, try it on FM. If no results...

Don't know enough about your troubleshooting skills or the
Invisible Fence, for that matter, but --

Assuming:

You know how to measure/checl continuity? And you would be able
to rig up some long runs of wire to your multimeter? (You would
essentially be making your test leads -very- long)

The Invisible fence buried wires are accessible at some point
after they exit the ground, you can literally "check the loop"
for continuity?

If both assumptions are true -- oops, one mo When you find
the break you will be able to fix it? -- if all true, then start
at a point in the middle of the run...

1) dig a small hole to let you get your test leads on the wire.
Testing continuity back to both origination points, your next
hole to dig will either be left or right of your previous one,
depending on which way tested "open".

2) Repeat step 1 as needed, breaking the distance in half for
each dig.

Eventually you'll either hit the break with your test hole or say
"well, I'm down to X' left, enough holes, time to dig up this
small stretch and find it."

Good luck.

--
If u want the races for free,