Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Brian Gregory[_2_] Brian Gregory[_2_] is offline

Default Cracked LCD screen

On 03/12/2019 22:36, John-Del wrote:
On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 12:23:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
My laptop screen looks like it has two curving crisscrossing wite threads on
it. Turned off, it looks like they are cracks, but not to the feel. Else
works fine. Is it hazardous (eg mercury)? If I do nothing, will it get
worse. I may have leaned on it, but don't recall any accident.

If it's old, it could use CCFL back lighting which has a small amount of mercury. I don't believe there's any in an LED based display.

You may have cracked it if you closed the top and there was something inside just a wee bit bigger than the gap between the screen and keyboard/mousepad.

If you can see the defect with the laptop turned off in a bright light on an angle, then the inside glass layer is cracked. These cracks do generally get worse. If it's a newish laptop, you can change the screen.

It'd be unusual if glass that was part of the display itself was cracked
and it didn't seriously mess up the display, like large areas near the
cracked not working much if at all.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).