Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rechargeable batteries - life expectancy

On 04/12/2019 17:38, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 04 Dec 2019 16:32:01 +0000, Scott wrote:

I found a few rechargeable batteries that had not been used for at least
three years. I charged them all and found they do not seem to be
holding their charge (unable to power a cordless mouse for more than
five minutes).

Is this type of battery destroyed by being left discharged for a long
period or could it recover with a few more charges?

Does it matter

Gave up using rechargeables for AA AAA batteries years ago. There's no
way they saved any money after buying the charger(s) and having the
batteries last for a few months.

They should last at least a couple of years (or more) if you look after
them and use them in rotation. Leave some dead flat in a drawer or
continuously on charge and you will more than likely wreck them.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are less environmentally friendly than
regular disposable ones.

NiCads certainly were. NiHM and Lithium less so but I do wonder about
the mining of lithium salts for green electric vehicles being displaced
environmental damage of the out of sight out of mind third world sort.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lith...ronment-impact

I have some old WWII surplus NiFe cells that are still going - they are
wet plate, heavy and low capacity by modern standards but they are also
virtually indestructible! Silver zinc from the same source gave up long
since - perhaps no surprise they were not intended for many cycles.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...78775399001640

--
Regards,
Martin Brown