Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Rechargeable batteries - life expectancy

In message , Custos Custodum
writes
On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 17:09:58 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 04/12/2019 16:42, David wrote:
On Wed, 04 Dec 2019 16:32:01 +0000, Scott wrote:

I found a few rechargeable batteries that had not been used for at least
three years. I charged them all and found they do not seem to be
holding their charge (unable to power a cordless mouse for more than
five minutes).

Is this type of battery destroyed by being left discharged for a long
period or could it recover with a few more charges?

It depends.......

I have an HP PDA not used since about 2005 and the batteries won't hold
charge.

I have a JVC badged digital camera last used in 2005 with several spare
batteries and all seem to hold charge.

So it probably depends on the size of the battery, the chemistry and the
manufacturer.

NiMh and LIPO will in general be destroyed, but Nicad can take it.

Your avvin a laff, mate.
Even good quality NiCads would grow whiskers if they were left
discharged for any length of time.

Hum. Connect a charged NiCad in parallel and vaporise the whiskers:-)

--
Tim Lamb