Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Choosing a set of drill bits

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
First: Big shout out to my Drill Doctor. I had to drill three #19
holes in cast iron yesterday and all I had was my set of HF TiN
drills. Had to sharpen the bit for each hole, but I did get through
the job OK. Drill Doctor made quick work of it.

Second: Enough is enough already. I have had enough screwing around
with garbage bits. I'm looking to buy my last set of drill bits.
Generally the 115 piece sets (1/16 - 1/2, A-Z, 1-60) fit my needs. I'm
not looking to break the bank, but I don't want to cheap out, either.
So, I'm looking for suggestions. If you were looking for a complete
set of drills, what would you buy?

--------------------------
I long ago (pre-China) bought relatively inexpensive sets from
industrial suppliers and replaced the sizes that dulled too quickly
from heavier use with Chicago-Latrobe. Mainly those were the numbered
and fractional tap and shank sizes, in jobbers and screw machine
lengths, with black oxide finish.

If you put the replaced and resharpened drills in another index and
use them first the better bits aren't at risk from unexpectedly hard
mystery metal, such as cast iron. Or the replacement tap size bits can
go in a combined tap and drill index.
https://www.amazon.com/Huot-12600-Dr.../dp/B00018A20O