Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff Urban Jeff Urban is offline

Default Resistor not the same as schematic

The print I just got from hifiengine says it is 220 ohms.

There are errors all over the place, I have seen a lie, which represents a wire or PC foil as having 12 volts on one side and zero on the other.

You have to use your common sense. Look at the thing, how the hell could that be a 100K ? And where did you get that print ?

Sometimes it is bad if you don't catch it. I was fixing a Phase Linear 400-2 and the print had the emitter resistors as 0.22, but they were 0.33s. If I were to have put in 0.22s you know what would have happened ? Do you know how critical such resistors are ?

And then it would be a good idea to find out if something else blew that resistor, but the first step is to change it. Then you jump it out and get your voltage readings (compare channel to channel) and you could conceivably find some smoke to follow. And feel around, see if anything is hot.

Maybe even just jump it out first. Check for proper operation and any heat buildup. Ten when you put a resistor actually in there then watch the voltage drop across it, then ohm's law tells you if it is pulling a reasonable amount of current.

That resistor is not there as a fuse, it is there to isolate that circuit from power supply fluctuations.

Being a 220 ohm it is not as likely as resistors over 100K to open on their own, but it does happen. But it says half watt. That circuit should only pull a few milliwatts.