Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default LCD Backlight question (Samsung)

On Thursday, November 28, 2019 at 6:19:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:
John-Del wrote:

If the side that was higher is now lower and vice versa, you have an open
lamp(s) in the display. You might be able to find CCFL tubes on line to
replace them.

Thanks for passing along the info and it makes sense to me.

I didn't know the bulbs could go bad like that (even though when the set is
on, the picture looks quite good with brightness and color temp).

I really doubt I'll proceed any further, I tried that lamp replacement once
with a laptop and it didn't go well.

FWIW, lamp replacement on that display would be much easier than on a laptop display.

The big thing is to avoid damaging the ribbons between the LCD and the address board. They're easy to damage but also easy to not damage if you're just aware of them.

Relamping that old boy may allow another 10 years. Every TV hitting the market has a shorter life than the one it replaced. That's a fact.