Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default cyclones

On 11/25/2019 6:47 PM, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 25/11/19 11:08 pm, Pete Keillor wrote:
On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 13:40:19 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 11/22/2019 6:53 PM, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 23/11/19 12:23 pm, wrote:
On Friday, November 22, 2019 at 4:31:40 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 11/21/2019 5:13 PM,
wrote:
Â*Â* Anyway found that one can buy the cyclone bit on AliExpress
or Ebay
Mind posting a link.Â* I recently unplugged the heavy duty hose on my
... Been thinking about making Thein seperator, but... well... time.

No problem.Â* The one I bought was $ 18.01 from Magicalcarworldstore.
If anyone knows how to post a URL directly , please post it.

I always filter by "Orders" because often the lowest price is a store
that has not a single sale of this product, or has a visibly inferior
version that people don't choose, or some other reason to avoid them.

Always cut off the URL at the ? for AliExpress.

Here are a couple of links, slightly different products:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32942971357.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32833255347.html

Clifford Heath.

Found a few on Fleabay with "US STOCK" for a few dollars more and free
shipping.Â* I went ahead and ordered two different ones to play with.Â* If
I can use something like a 45 gallon Brute trash can or even a 55 gallon
barrel that would be great.Â* If they don't work that well they still
didn't cost much.

A funny thing about cyclones is the separation efficiency is dependent
on the velocity of the fluid and the diameter.Â* They don't scale.
Bigger isn't better.Â* I was surprised as a young researcher in
Magnesium to see the Dorr hydroclones.Â* We processed about 80,000 gpm
seawater with about 1200 ppm Mg, the mag hydrate was initially settled
in ponds with huge rakes, then the slurry was pumped from the center
of the ponds to the hydroclone house where hundreds of very small
cyclones were manifolded together.Â* The further concentrated mag
hydrate came off the bottom, clears from the center.Â* Each cyclone
wasn't over 2-3" in diameter.Â* Mag hydrate is a very tiny particle, so
it took a lot of force to separate it from the seawater.

Of course aluminum chips in air are going to come out orders of
magnitude easier, so it probably won't be an issue at any size you can
use.Â* You've handled a 45 gal can half full of Al swarf?Â* Not too
heavy?Â* Anyway, hope it works well.

I do have one question for those who've used a cyclone in a machine shop.

How long does the cyclone itself last with sharp swarf spinning along
the sides?

Do sellers advertise a wall thickness or other longevity indicator?

Clifford Heath.

LOL. Yeah right. From Chinese import cyclones at the low end of the
manufacturing spectrum and low end of the price range. I think atleast
for now its just a disposable tool. Like end mills only cheaper.