Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default cyclones

On 11/24/2019 6:55 PM, Carl wrote: "Bob La Londe" wrote in message

On 11/24/2019 3:10 PM, Carl wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...
On 11/22/2019 6:53 PM, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 23/11/19 12:23 pm, wrote:
On Friday, November 22, 2019 at 4:31:40 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe
wrote:
On 11/21/2019 5:13 PM,
wrote:
Anyway found that one can buy the cyclone bit on AliExpress
or Ebay
Mind posting a link. I recently unplugged the heavy duty hose
on my
... Been thinking about making Thein seperator, but... well...
time.

No problem. The one I bought was $ 18.01 from

Magicalcarworldstore.
If anyone knows how to post a URL directly , please post it.

I always filter by "Orders" because often the lowest price is a

store
that has not a single sale of this product, or has a visibly
inferior version that people don't choose, or some other reason to
avoid them.

Always cut off the URL at the ? for AliExpress.

Here are a couple of links, slightly different products:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32942971357.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32833255347.html

Clifford Heath.

Found a few on Fleabay with "US STOCK" for a few dollars more and
free shipping. I went ahead and ordered two different ones to play
with. If I can use something like a 45 gallon Brute trash can or
even a 55 gallon barrel that would be great. If they don't work
that well they still didn't cost much.

You have probably already had a look on youtube but if not there are
a bunch of construction videos on how to put together a dust
collector with various shop vacs or bigger blowers, with homemade
cyclones or the commercial ones. If you want a small, portable unit
you could adapt this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KQ_p8IDAg, or the one he based his
on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyBuRjO54NM. They used 5 gallon
buckets to hold the dust/wood shavings, not 45 gallon, but I think
they are pretty clever and simple to build so you might get a useful
idea or two.

I had planned on building a thein separator for a barrel for a long
time. I even started once, but I'm just so darn busy in the shop these
days I never seem to get back to it. If the $20 (+/-) import cyclones
can be mounted on a barrel lid or improvised barrel lid and work for
half a year before the chips eat them up I'd be good with that.

Five gallon bucket. HA. One day on the Tormach or the Hurco doing
even moderately heavy material removal can fill a five gallon bucket.
Sometimes nearly two. I have had to stop mid day a few times just to
clean out the machines so the coolant will flow back to the tank. LOL.

It was always fun to see our head machinist climbing into a 60x30 Fadal
with a snow shovel and standing on the table so he could fill up a
couple of 45 gallon garbage cans with white snow - the chips and strings
of white acetal from a recurring job we did that ran for a couple of
days every few months.

I think you have discussed how small your shop is, so I was thinking you
could stack the shop vac and the cyclone collection barrel to save room,
just reverse the youtube example and put the barrel at the bottom,
sitting on a base with casters for mobility, then use legs from that
base to a shelf to hold the shop vac above the cyclone mounted on the
barrel lid. Use 2" PVC pipe for the legs, screw down four caps to the
top of the base and the bottom of the shelf as in the video so the legs
stay attached to the bottom of the shelf and pull out of the base for
easy disassembly, then make a pocket with walls or some pegs for the
shop vac to sit down into on top of the shelf so it lifts out easily but
can't roll off. To empty lift off shop vac then the shelf with legs,
roll barrel to dumpster or recycling container and empty. Anyway, just
some ideas for you.

My shop is actually not all that small. Compared to the shop my BIL
managed before he retired its tiny, but my limitations are more
organization and electrical service than actual space. My main machine
room is 14 x 24. There are 4 CNC mills a small lathe, and an assembly
bench in that room, but my shop overall is 50x60 (ft). My bigger CNC
mill and my bigger lathe are not inside the machine room. However
stacking is a perfectly valid option. It seems floor space is always at
a premium. Even extra buckets of way oil and soluble coolant find
themselves getting moved from spot to spot depending on today's projects.

My big suck limitation is the 100 amp sub panel feeding my shop. I
don't weld when the machines are running. I've got a new ACDC Variable
Frequency Pulse TIG machine that I haven't even done more than plug it
in and make it buzz once because I don't want to run it and risk
crashing a job when the CNC mills are running.

When I built my shop running a machine shop with multiple automated CNC
machines running at the same time wasn't even a glimmer of an idea. It
was just supposed to be a warehouse for my contracting business and a
place I could run a few power tools one at a time. A 100 amp sub seemed
like overkill at the time. Mostly just so I could run a welder without
killing the office (16x24) air conditioner. LOL.