Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
[email protected] DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org is offline

Default another vintage HV device finding challenge: LARGE plasma balls!

bitrex wrote in
:

On 11/24/19 4:42 PM, Branden wrote:
Ok, my previous post concerned the outlandish prices for some
neat looking HV devices originally from the late 90's: Luminglas
discs.Â* I was successful finding several, and at good prices
comparable to what I would have paid in 2000 for some nice used
ones.Â* However.....

I have been on a new quest to try and find a large plasma ball.Â*
True, they are all over the Internet, but the most common sizes
seem to be 8" diameter or less and I am looking for 12" diameter
or more!Â* However, the price seems to increase maybe as much as
20 fold going from 8 to 12 inch size!Â* I see some on eBay in 12"
size for just under $200, but I'm hoping to do better.Â* Problem
with the used ones I see is that the sellers don't specify globe
size and 99% most definitely are 8" or less diameter.

Suggestions would be welcome.Â* One thing I tried googling for
was some sort of a history on plasma globes with maybe larger
ones from the past mentioned.Â* Other than Spencer's 12"
Megavolt, that's all I could come up with (and, incidentally, the
person wants more for the Megavolt than a new 12" one!).

Thank you.

The very large type you see in science museums and such are
probably custom jobs I don't think there's enough demand for
globes of larger size to make an industry of selling anything but
one-offs.

https://www.metalsphere.com/product/...m-half-sphere/