Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Branden Branden is offline

Default another vintage HV device challenge: LARGE plasma balls!

Ok, my previous post concerned the outlandish prices for some neat
looking HV devices originally from the late 90's: Luminglas discs. I
was successful finding several, and at good prices comparable to what I
would have paid in 2000 for some nice used ones. However.....

I have been on a new quest to try and find a large plasma ball. True,
they are all over the Internet, but the most common sizes seem to be 8"
diameter or less and I am looking for 12" diameter or more! However,
the price seems to increase maybe as much as 20 fold going from 8 to 12
inch size! I see some on eBay in 12" size for just under $200, but I'm
hoping to do better. Problem with the used ones I see is that the
sellers don't specify globe size and 99% most definitely are 8" or less
diameter.

Suggestions would be welcome. One thing I tried googling for was some
sort of a history on plasma globes with maybe larger ones from the past
mentioned. Other than Spencer's 12" Megavolt, that's all I could come
up with (and, incidentally, the person wants more for the Megavolt than
a new 12" one!).

Thank you.