Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Branden Branden is offline

Default what is this high voltage display device called?

On 11/18/19 10:27 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 19:27:27 -0500, Branden
wrote:

What I'm thinking of is not a plasma globe, although, like the globe, it
too is intended primary for display. If I were to describe it, I
remember it being made out of glass, maybe 1-2 feet in diameter, and
nearly flat in thickness. Electric discharges from the center to the
edge of the glass and looked a lot like lightning. I remember these
devices being used in Star Trek The Next Generation used behind the
heads of Borg drones. They used to be in Spencers too available for
purchase.

An ordinary clear-glass incendescent bulb makes some nice sparks
inside if you apply HF-HV to one side of the filament.

If you're talking a "plasma globe", yes I have one of those. It is
about 14" diameter and cost me $19 at Walmart about 15 years ago.
However, I see that even those in many cases appear to be somewhat
higher in price, but certainly not nearly as high as the luminglas!