Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default calipers

On 17/11/2019 16:27, wrote:
I just found that they are selling calipers on Aliexpres which have a small solar panel to power them. And they also have a battery to power them when used in poor light. Some use LR44 batteries and some use cr2032 batteries.

And some are stainless steel and some are carbon fiber.

And my question is whether the carbon fibre one will last under light usage? And will they stand up to being used every day?

And any comments on which battery is the one to buy. The lithium battery is a higher voltage and that could be a problem with a solar cell meant to be used with a 1.5 V battery.

Dan

I was discussing this recently with a chap who has one and he mentioned
having read about the carbon fibre composite calipers being OK for
infrequent use but for regular usage the insulating PCB coating can wear
off the PCB that reads the location and they can then start to play up.
That said the fix can be as simple as applying some Scotch tape to the
PCB surface and while not as good they work OK, not as accurate as an SS
variant anyway AFAIK. I did fit a carbon fibre composite one to my small
jewellers guillotine recently for a depth readout and it's great but it
doesn't get moved that often and for the price £6 delivered I can bin it
if it plays up and fit another if I feel like it.