Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Alex Borroughs Alex Borroughs is offline

Default could this simple solution work for solder smoke device?

On 11/8/19 1:17 PM, John Larkin wrote:
On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 12:25:02 -0500, Alex Borroughs
wrote:

I've been looking for a cheap, possibly DIY solder smoke solution. I
did see the device here that someone shared, but it appears to use water
and it looks like he's adding the carbon later. I had hoped for
something simpler, then I came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH5APw_SLUU

My local home improvement store has this filter:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TUDHPS8...ing=UTF8&psc=1

That particular filter, although somewhat expensive (MERV=12), is
supposed to remove smoke along with a host of other pollutants. It
looks like there are one or two filters also available at even higher
MERV ratings, but more expensive and I wanted the cheapest alternative
that would still take care of the smoke. Using a filter like this in
front of the box fan and placing near my soldering area would no doubt
suck in the smoke, but what about the effectiveness? Anyone ever try it
or use this method? Also, as I wouldn't be running the combination all
the time, it should last a lot longer than 3 months.

Thanks.

How would you know if it works?

The best way I know how might be to try burning something smoky like
incense for a few minutes and see if the smell clears the room. I know
that's probably not the best way. I was relying more on filter specs
than anything else. That seemed to be the lowest strength that filtered
smoke also.