Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson[_4_] Trevor Wilson[_4_] is offline

Default Sansui QRX 5500 quadrophonic receiver one channel is out but thenan accident brought it back, (for a breif time)

On 8/11/2019 2:51 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote:

-----------------------

**Output relays. Replace 'em or clean em. Very common in 40 ~ 50 year
old equipment. In fact, I have a Sansui AU919 with precisely that problem.

** Certainly true.

I can spend hours on an old Jap receiver, from one of the major brands before it is all working again.

Corroded toggle, pushbutton and rotary switches, pots, RC sockets, multi-pin connectors, wire wrap joints, fuse clips, bulb sockets, noisy tuning gang bearings, bad headphone jacks, dead back lights and maybe a few leaky or open electros. Plus of course speaker relays.

Almost nothing in parts, but heaps of time that must be paid for.

**My AU919 customer was real lucky. He bought it from a US seller on
eBay. It arrived in it's original packing box. When I pulled it out, I
realised that it had seen very little use, based on how much dust was
inside and the cosmetic condition of the knobs and switches. It's
probably the best one I've ever seen. Replacing the deadly 'black flag'
caps with silvered mica (at the customer's request) and ceramics, two
new relays (I could have cleaned them, but what the Hell, they were only
9 Bucks each from RS) and the job is done.

However, next week, I face off with this beast:

https://classicreceivers.com/marantz-4400
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...ntz/4400.shtml

Built to be easily repaired in case of an output stage fault (which
hardly ever happens).

One of my all-time favourites. I repaired quite a few back in my Marantz
days. Nicely built, but crowded. Replacing the lamps is a nightmare. The
CRO doesn't work, but I am hopeful it's a power supply issue. A full set
of electros, lamps and all the other stuff will take me the best part of
all week to sort out. Worth it though. Arguably, the best, most
desirable 4 channel receiver ever made.

Gotta love those hipsters. :-)

--
Trevor Wilson